Wednesday 5 December 2012

Christmas Countdown Day 5

 Christmas Countdown Day 5
My Miniature Christmas Cake



Hello Everyone, Today I thought I would show you the results of another experiment I tried. I wanted to create a Christmas cake for my pub project. I have seen plenty of miniature food items made from Fimo and Sculpy, and thought a cake would be fairly straight forward. 

I started out with a lump of brown Fimo, and shaped it into a round cake shape, then used some sand coloured Sculpy rolled out thinly to create a layer of marzipan, then smoothed this over the brown 'cake' base. 

After the marzipan layer I took some white Sculpy, and again rolled this out to create a layer of icing on the cake. I rolled out some sausage shapes in white Sculpy and stuck this to the base of the cake and another around the top of the cake and used needle pliers to crimp and texture this to look like it was piped icing. 

I then cut out a wedge to make a slice of cake and textured the exposed brown Fimo, to give it a more cake like texture. I also worked in a tiny amount of black Fimo onto the cake slice to give the appearance of currents and other dried fruit.

Looks good enough to eat!!!
Finally, I created a tiny snowman from tiny balls of Sculpy, added a tiddly little carrot nose and black hat. Then I baked the whole thing in the oven. It's not too bad for a first attempt, I am quite happy with it. It's a little larger than planned, as the marzipan and icing layers added to the overall finished cake, and I am still not sure how you can handle this stuff and not leave finger prints in it! Any ideas on that one?

BTW. the eyes on the snowman were put on later using a gel pen!


22 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks great Andy! Which reminds me, I better go get ingredients and bake our real Christmas cake, we like to eat it with ice cream on our hot summer Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, Good luck with your cake. I really can't imagine celebrating Christmas in mid summer, it has always been in deepest winter for me!

      Delete
  2. Excellent first attempt. You've certainly set yourself a task to come up with 25 different posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene,

      You are right, this Christmas Countdown is taking up quite a lot of time, along with all the other Christmas preparations, but I am quite happy, I am worried I'll run out of ideas half way through, but have a few to keep me going!! ;o)

      Delete
  3. It looks wonderful, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy - not like a first attempt... ;O)

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit, it is kind of you to say so!! ;o)

      Delete
  5. Bravo, Andy! It looks Delicious! Now I am drooling ..! LOL! That doesn't look like a first attempt at all! As for size.... surely it is large so it can feed Everybody at the Swan!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, well I think it would certainly feed a few hungry patrons at the pub, yes!! LOL. Not sure if you'd find it easy to get your teeth into though!!

      Delete
  6. Great job, Andy! It looks cute and tasty--love it! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am impressed! I would be ashamed to show my first cake LOL :)

    Victoria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria, I almost didn't show mine, so thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  8. La tarta te salió buenísima y muy real. Yo aún no me he atrevido a hacer nada con fimo, pero espero hacerlo pronto, a ver cómo me saldrá. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's pretty good for your first try some of the other people use silicone for frosting like:http://www.mrkate.com/2012/04/11/diy-japanese-decoden-embellished-phone-cases/ they do have tutorials if you want to make more or do other stuff ...here is a link :)
    http://semi-sweeties.deviantart.com/gallery/9582525#

    have fun

    Love

    Marisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marisa, thanks for the links, I will check them out soon!!

      Delete
  10. YUM!!

    My first reaction was- I would love a slice of that!!

    What a great job Andy, you really are having a go at every thing and doing so very well at it, I think the cake is just gorgeous!! Very Christmasy!!

    Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fi, thanks, pleased you like it! I'm not sure you'd really enjoy eating a piece of my doll's house cake, but I could treat you to a slice of my RL cake if you were ever here!! ;o)

      Delete
  11. Hi Andy, I would love to try the real cake ;)! But this one of the clay LOOKS yum, delicious and is well done!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Andy,
    That cake looks good enough to eat. Great work!
    Hugs,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete