Thursday 20 December 2012

Christmas Countdown Day 20


6" Christmas Tree from amazon.co.uk

 Christmas Countdown Day 20
Decorating a Dolls' House Christmas Tree

Decorating a Christmas tree for you doll's house is a fun little project. Almost anything can be used to decorate it; sequins, beads, jewellery findings, tiny model toys, and ribbons to mention a few. 

Finding a suitable tree might be tricky, the one above from Amazon looks OK, but some people like thinner branches, and something more realistic. There are also miniature trees from model railways or cake decorations, whatever you feel appropriate and can get easily! (after all, there aren't many days left now!)

Pack 12 glass baubles £2.99 Maple Street
I've shown you these beautiful miniature baubles before, which look just like the real thing. Several companies are selling these online, I bought mine for £2.99 a pack at maplestreet.co.uk.
Coloured beads, small crystal beads and jewellery findings would work well as baubles too.

Card making kit £18.00 johnlewis.com
Special craft shops are very useful for miniaturists, sets like the one above contain many useful bits and pieces that could be used for miniature decorations.


Pack 30 pipe cleaners £2.00 John Lewis
Glittery pipe cleaners make perfect miniature tinsel, but you could also use thin coloured ribbons, or even make tiny paper-chains to decorate the tree.

Working fairy lights £4.95 dollshouseparade.net
Fairy lights on the tree will add to the realism. There are several companies selling miniature strings of lights, with colourful or white bulbs. Trouble is, you'll need to plug them into an existing lighting system in your dolls' house. You could use a small battery operated set of LED lights instead.

I'd love to see some of your miniature Christmas trees!

6 comments:

  1. Love love love them!!

    You will laugh when you see what I had to use as a christmas tree for my post I will be doing later. There are no Dollhouse shops in Noosa so I have had to be very creative in thought!!

    I think your baubles and lights are a great find!!

    ML Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE those Glass Ball decorations, Andy! I will have to see if I can get them over here.... probably too late for THIS year! But you have already seen the Christmas Tree in the Lovely Old Dollhouse ;).... and The Cupboard House dates from 1852... so they just Might get a Tree (when I get to the Parlor, that is!).... and the Folly is Certainly due a Tree THIS year... ! Will I get one up in time???? As for the Tree House.... they are already decked out.... just not very Dramatic at that scale!
    I can't wait to see the Swan......:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Andy,
    I love those baubles !! They're so cute. Thanks for sharing.
    I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Greetings Dorien

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Andy,
    What lovely decorations!. As much as I wanted to make a tree for the Manor it won't happen this year!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  5. en mi blog puede ver algunos arboles que yo he realizado para casas de muñecas , muy buena su explicación.
    Feliz Navidad y feliz año 2013.
    http://lolyaliminis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no miniature Christmas tree to show on my blog, but I am finishing other Christmas miniatures.......
    Your tree and decorations looks gorgeous, I hope you show to us the Christmas tree after it is decorated?
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete