Thursday 18 October 2012

Holiday! Celebrate!!



Hello,

Earlier this month David and I packed up the car and set off for a little holiday in Norfolk. I took far too many photos, and thought I would take an opportunity to share some of my holiday snaps.

The picture above was taken in Norwich, the county city in Norfolk. The scene is Elm Hill, a very pretty little part of the city, with cobbled streets and old timber framed buildings with 18th century attachments!


Another landmark of Norwich is the stunning Norwich Cathedral, with its impressive stone spire. Norwich has a good share of architectural styles and there are some interesting buildings to see there. Norwich Castle is worth a look, and there is a rather ghastly Monumentalist County Hall on the Market Square which would have been quite comfortably at home in Mussolini's Italy, and which dominates an attractive Guildhall opposite.


Another little gem is this Art Nouveau shopping arcade. This was lovely to see, as there aren't that many Art Nouveau buildings in England. The arcade is also home to the Colman's Mustard Shop, where you can learn all about this very famous brand of mustard, which was founded in Norwich, and buy some to take home! (as it's readily available in Waitrose, I declined!!)


While in Norfolk, we took the opportunity to visit some of the houses I have mentioned on previous posts here. Oxburgh Hall, Felbrigg Hall and Blickling Hall. For some reason I don't have any pics of Felbrigg, but here is one of Oxburgh...


Outside of Oxburgh Hall was a semi-ruined Church, it was quite an odd thing as the church seemed to still be partly in use, but much or it was in ruins. we didn't get to find out more, nor go inside as there were builders working inside the church itself.



We weren't able to take pictures in the house, but inside there are some very impressive embossed painted leather wall coverings on the staircases, and some embroidery done by the hand of Mary Queen of Scots herself!! You are allowed to climb to the roof of the gate house, which has some lovely views. There is also a 'Priest Hole'. something I am not sure I have mentioned before in posts, but have meant to. it was basically a hiding place for Catholic priests who came to the homes of wealthy Catholics after the Reformation, when Catholic worship was prohibited. Should there be any unexpected (or even expected) visitors calling at the house, the priest could be hidden away. These little hiding places probably saved many peoples' lives!


Felbrigg Hall (not pictured) has some very fine plasterwork ceilings, and a charming lilac coloured dining room I would be very happy to take supper in!! The house above is Blickling Hall. If you get to Norfolk, do take time to see it, along with the other houses I have mentioned. Blickling has some of the nicest bathrooms I have ever seen in an English stately home!! It also has a staircase I have featured before, anyone remember it?


Sorry this picture isn't very sharp, I hope you can still see it ok. If you have very sharp eyes you might be able to see a portrait of Henry VIII, it is labelled as a Holbein, but I think it is a copy!!


Social history has become an important part of the National Trust experience, and no tour of the house is complete with out a visit to the kitchens and other servant areas. The kitchen at Blickling was nothing special, but I was rather taken by the row of storage tins on the dresser. They put me in mind of Two Bad Mice !!

Upstairs were some very nice rooms, the Chinese bedroom, has given me some ideas for the bedroom of my Georgian House.


Most unusual were these Chinese Pagodas in cases, which would be nice to find in miniature! I love the bamboo frame on the case too!


On the wall of one of the bathrooms, was a lovely set of Meissen, comprising a mirror and matching pair of wall sconces. Here is a picture of one of them;


Another amazing feature at Blickling is the Fire place in the Drawing Room, which is an original Jacobean one, although it was originally painted to represent different marbles, the Victorian owners stripped it back to the bare wood, because they thought it looked more authentic that way!!


We also visited another House, which I haven't yet featured on this blog before, called Holkham Hall. It is an eighteenth century building, so still a little too early for my Period Style posts!! I'll show you some pictures of the house now, and keep an eye out for future posts on English Paladianism.


This is the main entrance facade of Holkham, It leads into one of the most stunning entrance halls in Britain, which I will show you in a moment. Most photos of Holkham Hall are actually taken of the south facade, with its temple front.


The Marble Hall, feels just like you have entered a Roman Bath or Temple, which is hardly surprising perhaps, as it is from the buildings of ancient Rome that this room takes its inspiration. The walls and Ionic columns are clad in alabaster, and there is an amazing coffered ceiling.


The Dining Room is the next room you enter, which is a Single Cube Room, with an apse. Symmetry was important, so two fireplaces were installed in this room and false doorways added to balance the real doorways. This room also has a domed ceiling, though that isn't obvious when you first look at it!


I took far too many photos to show you them all here (hears collective sigh of relief!!) There was a great collection or art and sculpture in the house too, In fact the house was pretty much built around the art collection! In one of the state rooms there is a wall practically covered in Claude's  and Poussin's, a real treat for me!!!


The kitchens at Holkham were also rather special, dating from the 19th century, there was an amazing range, and a huge collection or shining copper pans!



Although Holkham looks like it has been built of stone, it is actually built entirely from a local brick, as this picture shows.


I was going to add some pics of the house we stayed in, and a few other things that we went to see whilst on holiday, but I think I will save those for another post. Hope you enjoyed the photos! ;o)

29 comments:

  1. Andy,

    Stunning photo's! I know Norfolk/Suffolk very well, as I used to live there. I was lucky enough to go to school in Norwich and used to have my lunch breaks around the shops, etc!

    Elm Hill is just divine and I fond memories of it. :o))

    Never been to Holkham Hall, but knows lots about it.

    I'm currently in the process of moving....back to Norfolk (all being well and if all goes to plan!). :o))

    It looks like you had a great time! :o))
    Michelle :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typo's galore! Sorry about that! lol

      Delete
    2. Hi Michelle,

      Thanks for your comments. I loved Elm Hill, and enjoyed my visit to Norwich very much. You're lucky to have grown up there. Do visit Holkham if you ever get a chance, there a nice beach there too!!

      Andy xxx

      Delete
  2. Hello Andy,
    Now THAT is a holiday. what beautiful pictures...talk about inspiration. thank you so much, this was such a wonderful post and it's great to see these incredible rooms and building, and even better to have you give us facts about them. You really are a great source of information.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac, good to hear from you again. Pleased you liked the pictures!! I have some more pics lined up of the house we stayed in (very unusual) while in Norfolk. Also planning another Period Style post on the Restoration very soon! Great architecture coming up there!!

      Hugs
      Andy xxx

      Delete
  3. Hi Andy,

    It looks like you had a great time on your Holiday. The photos are lovely, I'm in love with the Chinese bedroom, the walls are just divine! I would love to see it in RL and that entrance is gob smacking, even more so if you are standing right there I imagine. Of course I love the kitchen and want that collection of copper pans!!

    Well done on a great tour!

    ML Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fi,

      Great to hear from you, curious to know what you have been up to yourself!! We had a great little holiday, I can't wait to show you all the little house we stayed in, and a few other sights we saw. The Entrance does indeed blow you away when you enter Holkham, even if you're expecting it (I know about the Hall from many books) it's still stunning to see it for real. The kitchen was great, There was a LOT more copper too, too much for one picture!! Fine when you have an army of servants to clean it all!!!!

      More very soon
      Love Andy xxxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Andy!! Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful pictures of your Holiday! They are awesome, to see all the beauty there is in England, love it. I can see you've enjoyed it so much!
    Greetings, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ilona, pleased you enjoyed looking at the photos. Yes, there is certainly a great deal of beauty in England, and Britain in general, I loved Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex have a lot to offer too, I don't think many people in Britain realise fully what is on their own doorsteps sometimes!! ;o)

      Andy xxx

      Delete
  5. Hi Andy, how lovely that you have visited where I live! I loved your picture of the Royal Arcade, I have never noticed the lovely buildings to the left of the entrance, I'm going to have to look tomorrow :-) isn't that the way when you live somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,

      Yes, I am the same, I grew up in Kent, and didn't visit most of the big houses there until quite recently. and l now live virtually next door to Woburn Abbey, and only went there last year! I guess it's because you think you can go there at any time, that you never really do?

      The Royal Arcade is lovely, I had a great time in Norwich, the cathedral is stunning too, and the castle, even the county hall was interesting to see, and the fun little market outside it!!

      You're lucky to live there!! AND you can keep stocked on mustard anytime LOL!! ;o)

      Regards
      Andy xxx

      Delete
  6. Now THAT is my idea of a perfect holiday! Those homes are gorgeous and I can only hope to see them in RL someday! Thanks for sharing, Andy! (I would love to see them all)...

    Big hug,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      I really hope you do come to see them all someday. I would ask that you don't bring any of those scary dolls you're currently featuring on your own blog. They are Proper Scary as the British Youth would say!! (someone asked when I would be 40 at work, and realised it's only 2 years away, am feeling old now as a result!!) More pics coming up, and then the Restoration, which has some fab buildings!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Andy!
    I LOVE your pictures.... not bored at all.... I would love to see three times as many!!! LOL! (Only a little in love with Historic British Architecture!!!) I can't say I love any one place more than the others.... they are all so fascinating, and I know I could spend Hours and Hours absorbing all the details! Lucky you to live near enough to visit for a Holiday! Thank you for sharing! Gotta go read through this post again...! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betsy!!

      Hope the pics were as good on your second viewing! Pleased you enjoyed them. I think the post would have gone on for ever if I had put all my photos on, but some may well appear in future posts. I want to show you all the little house we stayed in, so will be posting that next, and more besides.

      Loving your tree house project too!!! ;o)

      Love
      Andy xxxx

      Delete
  8. Hi Andy
    Lovely pictures, thank you. What great places you both went to. Norwich is a favourite with us, too.
    I love the kitchen pictures - all that copper to polish!
    Have a great wewekend
    Simon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, thanks for your comments. How is your mini theatre project coming along, I was amazed at what you have achieved with it so far!

      I hadn't been to Norwich before, and it was one of the highlights of our stay. Great little city. I understand St Delia of all the Saucepans has a restaurant there too!

      Holkham is stunning, I think you would love it! Particularly as it was largely furnished by William Kent!!

      hugs
      Andy xxx

      Delete
  9. Lovely pictures, dear! Didn't they come out well. For anyone who would like to see Felbrigg Hall, there is an exclusive opportunity to do so over on my blog.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hello Dear!

      I would just like to say that shamelessly plugging your own blog is, well, shameless!! ;o)

      I would also like to say that I have taken those 'EXCLUSIVE' pictures of Felbrigg et al, and will be using them on my blog at some point too.

      Yes. am quite pleased with my pictures, though some were not so good, as you will see soon!

      Delete
  10. Hello Andy, Interesting pictures actually. Good idea to take them as a source of inspiration...They'll be useful to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carina,

      Pleased you will find my pictures useful inspiration! I was amazed at the quality of art and furnishings in these houses. I certainly took a few ideas home with me, not just for my dolls' houses either!!

      Andy x

      Delete
  11. Dear Andy,
    Thanks for sharing these nice pictures.I still can use information about Victorian rooms.
    Greetings Dorien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dorien,

      I would be happy to give you some information on Victorian style, it's a bit too early in my Period Style guides to do something on the blog, but I can give you some good book titles for reference, and some houses worth looking at too.

      In Britain, and I think US too, Victorian Style was very heavy, quite ornamental, over the top, cluttered, but also more comfortable and homely than ever before too. More things were available to buy, and people had more money to buy them ( well middle income onwards anyway, the poor were treated like a disease! quite shocking!!)

      regards
      Andy

      Delete
  12. Oh, Andy -- this post is a FEAST! Thank you so much for sharing all these marvellous photos with us. Norfolk is one of my favourite counties and this makes me want to visit again, soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      I hope you get a chance to go back there soon, it will be worth your while! Pleased you enjoyed the photos!!

      Regards
      Andy x

      Delete
  13. hi Andy,
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful photo's, and if there are more, please post them!
    The Chinese Room in its soft tones is just lovely, and the Meissen porcelain is so beautiful.
    I have only been to London, but I realise from your posts there is yet a whole other world to explore over there.
    You are an outstanding ambassador for the UK!
    Hugs,
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gee, I will post some more pictures soon, I am really pleased that you enjoyed the ones I have shown on this post. I loved the Chinese Room too, Blickling was a real treasure house, a great place to visit. I think it has now closed over the winter, and will reopen next spring, along with most of the big houses.

    London certainly has lots to offer, it's a very exciting city, always lots going on there, but I do recommend a visit to places further afield in the UK, it's not a huge country, and even if you're staying in London, there are plenty of trains to take you out of the city, into the country beyond.

    If you want to know more about Britain's stately homes that you can visit, see National Trust, National Trust for Scotland, English Heritage, Historic Houses Association, who all have websites.

    hugs
    Andy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Andy for sharing the pics of your recent holiday. They're marvellous and full of inspiring ideas. To me, a holiday isn't a holiday without visiting a stately home or three!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gracias por las fotos y por las explicaciones....he disfrutado tanto que casi parece que estoy yo de vacaciones.

    ReplyDelete